Presented to the university by Paul Mellon (Yale College Class of
1929), the Yale Center for British Art houses the largest and most
comprehensive collection of British art outside the United Kingdom. The
collections reflect the development of British art, life, and thought
from the Elizabethan period onward.
The Yale Center for British Art was designed by the
internationally acclaimed American architect Louis I. Kahn. Located
across the street from his first major commission, the Yale University
Art Gallery (1953). In 2005 the Center received the
prestigious Twenty-five Year Award of the American Institute of
Grand Light was selected to create exact replications of the existing
historic pendant light fixtures. The custom pendant is a spun, tapered aluminum shade with
a clear satin etched anodized finish. Each
component was custom fabricated insuring the complete historical
Completed in 1929, Dartmouth's Sanborn Library houses the school's English department,
hosts afternoon tea for students and faculty, as well as a campus study location. The Sanborn House Library features
ornate woodwork, plush leather chairs and books lining the walls from floor
to ceiling. It is named for Professor Edwin Sanborn, who
taught for almost 50 years in the Department of English.
Grand Light was selected to restore the original chandeliers and
wall sconces located on the second floor of the library. The fixtures are made of wood and are covered with ornate resin filigrees. Many of the
original filigree details are broken and missing. Grand Light artisans will create silicon molds for the replication of each and every damaged or missing component.
Each chandelier will undergo an extensive process of color matching the original finish, including gold leaf highlights and an application of museum grade waxes, thereby restoring these fixtures to their original luster.
The Clyde-Savannah Central School district is located midway between
Rochester and Syracuse, NY.
Grand Light has been selected for the restoration of an aging chandelier at the
Clyde-Savannah School in Clyde, NY. Located in the school's auditorium, the 10' diameter x 8' high, 1,200 pound
cast brass chandelier will be carefully disassembled by Grand Light artisans on site and transported back to
Grand Light's Seymour, CT restoration facility. The 88 year
old chandelier is getting a thorough restoration involving cleaning, application of museum grade wax on all finishes, new electrical components, UL testing, and structural improvements.
The fixture contains a 3 circuit system
which uses 16 lights per tier for a total of 48 sockets.
The New Haven County Courthouse is located in the Downtown of New Haven, Connecticut. It has been a prominent and stately presence on the New
Haven Green since its opening in 1914.The New Haven County Courthouse at
the corner of Elm and Church Streets, was one of a handful of buildings
commissioned by New Haven County to bolster its City Beautiful
movement. Modeled after St. George's Hall in Liverpool, England, the
courthouse was designed by New Haven architects William Allen and
Richard Williams. The building's design infused Beaux-Arts principles in
a Neo-classical style. Construction began in 1909 and five years later,
at a cost of $1.3 million, the structure was completed. It officially
opened its doors on March 24, 1914. Statuary in front of the Courthouse
by noted sculptor J. Massey Rhind and murals and lunettes inside by
famed early 20th Century painter T. Thomas Gilbert help give the
imposing building its aesthetic appeal. Today it serves as the
Geographical Area #23 Courthouse. The building added to the National
Register of Historic Places on May 16, 2003
New Haven, CT - In the mid-1920s, Harvard constructed student residences on the banks
of the recently dammed Charles River, residences initially occupied by
freshmen. McKinlock Hall, built in 1925, was one of those original
buildings. The building was donated by the family of Lieut. George
Alexander McKinlock Jr., a Harvard graduate who was killed by a German
machine gun near Soissons in 1918. The bulk of McKinlock Hall consists
of 5 entryways, each of which leads to four or five floors of suites for
approximately 35 students. McKinlock also serves as the center of
Leverett social life: it houses the Leverett Dining Hall, the Junior and
Senior Common Rooms, the Old Library Theatre, the Master's Residence,
and several other common spaces.
Grand Light was selected to restore the historic fixtures
in the hall located on the the Harvard University Campus in Cambridge,
MA. There are several different types of fixtures ranging from
chandeliers, wall sconces, ceiling mounted fixtures, pendant lights, and
outdoor lanterns. These fixtures will undergo several different
restoration techniques ranging from cleaning and conservation of the
existing finishes, to complete refinishing. All fixtures will be wired
in accordance with UL standards.
New Haven, CT - Grand Light has completed restoration of the seventeen historic light fixtures from Cornell University's Sigma Phi Fraternity. Using a variety of techniques and treatments, the fixtures were restored to their original glory and updated to current UL Specifications.
New Haven, CT - Grand Light has been contracted by Sigma Phi Fraternity at Cornell University to restore several antique light fixtures from the fraternities dormitory. There are seventeen fixtures in total, ranging in material from copper, brass, steel, and even pewter, each requiring specialized techniques to restore them to their full glory.
New Haven, CT - Grand Light successfully designed and tested a custom QL induction lighting system retrofit kit for 232 historic luminaires at the St Joseph's Cathedral in Hartford, CT.
New Haven, CT - Grand Light has been contracted to design and manufacture a custom chandelier inspired by a European design, consisting of E12 base bulbs, crystal, and several differing length metal arms secured to a central metal sphere.
New Haven, CT - Grand Light has been selected by a client to produce a custom crystal light fixture in the shape of a fish, with 30% lead cut crystals crystals. The weight and size of the fixture was a prime concern, requiring additional ceiling support and planning for the structure.
New Haven, CT - Fabrication on the final lighting fixture for the Magala Cove library has been completed.
New Haven, CT - Grand Light has been contracted by an upscale residence in White Plains New York to restore 8 large brass lamps which hang above a 126' indoor, Olympic sized swimming pool.
New Haven, CT - Grand Light has been awarded the contract for the historic lighting fixture restoration for two large cast bronze lighting fixtures located on the front entry of the New Haven County Courthouse.
New Haven, CT - Grand Light has completed the replication of the wall sconces for the White House Visitor Center, in Washington, D.C.
New Haven, CT - The final lighting fixture, fixture DA, as part of Malaga Cove's Library expansion has been fabricated and is entering it final stages of completion. All components were fabricated using aluminum which was spun on our custom made tools, and a custom opal stepped glass diffuser was made to fit on the bottom of the fixture. Every component of the fixture was custom fabricated to be historically accurate to the components as we were able to make them out using the submitted clients photograph.
New Haven, CT - Sterling Chemistry Building, a part of Yale University in New Haven's
Science Hill for almost 6 decades, has tasked Grand Light to replicate the wrought iron and cast bronze fixture and create custom cut glass globes to replace existing plastic globes.